Sunday, 12 March 2017

It's got to be big

I honestly keep trying to make smaller things, but they just keep growing. Trees eh!

In the pan for boiling, and after boiling.

I'll leave this for several months now, before coming back to finish the surface.

Time to rive down the oak tree that I brought back from the woods the other week.

This will become the drawer front to go in that hole there.

This is the bowl I started hollowing in the woods with the chainsaw and flat adze, otherwise I couldn't move it. It contains the heart of the main trunk running through both ends, so it might not work i.e. it may rip itself apart as it dries out. I am hoping giving it a long slow boil this will be prevented.

 As you can see, I am also keeping it filled with water overnight, in between carving. It's a big one.

In fact, any bigger and I will need a bigger pan.

With about 80 litres of water and a small fire it took about 6 hours to come to the boil. I kept stoking it for an hour or two and then left it overnight. I imagine it kept bubbling for another hour or so.

With only minimal cracking on the end I am hopeful.

So onwards with the other half of this section of trunk.

I think this one might be called the dragonfly bowl.

Thursday, 23 February 2017

Riving, riving, riving. Keep those wedges riving.....

Don't try this at home.

After loading the 6ft quarters (fifths) I am left with a 3ft length, that's not going in, no matter how creative I get with levers and tipping points etc. Nothing for it but to lighten the load a little.

All, while 'Storm Doris' raged over the valley top.

Sunday, 29 January 2017

Oak bowl surface treatment


More fascinating viewing of Jon bothering oak.

Blow hard wind, blow hard!

It is four months since my open workshop event and I have been busy. Hoping to get back to some joined furniture next week with a commission for a pair of library steps in 17thC joined stool stile, basically a joined stool with two storeys.

Here's a few photos of the chest with drawer I managed to get carved during the event.

One of the panels without the ground removed.

Toying with not taking the ground out on the two side panels....

....but no. Maybe if it was all carved like that with just incised lines, but it messes with the raking light effect having the combination of both techniques. Down to the ground it is.

Sold this cherry bowl to Cliff.

I also got commissions for several other things including some cabinets for Nigel and Clare from quartersawn douglas fir.

They also had an oak tree which needed milling into boards.

And made into a bridge to cross their stream.

I was asked to restore these chairs recently. I stripped off the modern varnish (and dirt), tightened all the joints, re-fixed the legs which had fallen off and re-finished with proprietary Rivers Joinery Beeswax Polish.

Making the initial timber selection for the storytelling chair commission.

This will have hands on the arms and boots on the feet a la Discworld.

I have been finishing off a few oak bowls.

And starting another one.

I need to lay my hands on a new log this week; to get a board for the front of the drawer and all the stock for two sets of library steps. 

Blow hard wind, blow hard!